What builds your foundation, the material or the spiritual?
Let’s examine why the ego is not your cornerstone, and why it will never help you levitate above the ugly reality around you. The ego is what must burn in the fires of purification. This concept of eliminating the ego is an element to remember when you build your main character. Gravity is the impulse toward the material and mundane. However, our goal is to distribute our energy so that gravity does not weigh and hold us down be it the actual gravity of the earth or the seriousness of ordinary situations and experiences.
It doesn’t matter if you reverse the order of things get everything turned around or do things backward. The “Midpoint” remains the same, and it goes to the heart of the matter.
You may want to visit January’s post called “Plot and Structure” for a full understanding of the passage below which continues the theme of the Midpoint and Center of the Bible.
Psalm – 118
21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.
22 The stone which the builders rejected; the same has become the cornerstone.
23 This is the Lord’s doing: and it is wonderful in our eyes.
24 This is the day which the Lord hath made: let us be glad and rejoice therein.
25 O Lord, save me: O Lord, give success.
26 Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the Lord. We have blessed you out of the house of the Lord.
Definition of structure:
1. mode of building, construction, or organization; arrangement of parts, elements, or constituents: a pyramidal structure.
2. something built or constructed, as a building, bridge, or dam.
3. a complex system considered from the point of view of the whole rather than of any single part: the structure of modern science
Definition of Plot:
1. a secret plan or scheme to accomplish some purpose, especially a hostile, unlawful, or evil purpose: a plot to overthrow the government.
2. Also called a storyline. The plan, scheme, or main story of a literary or dramatic work, as a play, novel, or short story.
3. a small piece or area of ground: a garden plot; burial plot.
STRUCTURE and PLOT – Reversing or inverting the natural order of things never bodes well for a script!
A structure like the ego should never come first although it represents the backbone of your story or the main elements of life. You must always keep the plot the cornerstone forefront in your mind to prevent the structure…the ego…the material from becoming an out of control monster.
Have you noticed that the plot in most stories will show how an individual overcomes aspects of their ego? During the writing process, it is important to know the plan. Once you have a plan, it is easier to organize the scrip. So what does it look like when the structure…the ego…the material comes first? You’ll find a brilliant example in Frankenstein.
“The secret to life and death…” When a man takes the ultimate creator out of the plan and organizes something for himself, he gives license to the ego and creates a horrible mess. So you’ve been forewarned creating structure first then incorporating plot doesn’t work well.